Joseph Walter Jackson was born on July 26, 1929 in Fountain Hill, Arkansas. When Joe was twelve, his parents split up and Joe and his father, Samuel Jackson, moved to Oakland. After graduating from high school, Joe left California, where he had a short career as a boxer, and moved to East Chicago, Indiana to take care of his mother. It was there that he met Katherine Scruse (born May 4, 1930), an Alabama native who was raised in East Chicago from age four. The couple married on November 5, 1949 and moved into a two-room house in Gary, Indiana, which they bought for $800. During his early years in Gary, Joe formed a rhythm and blues band called The Falcons. His performance career lasted a brief two years. Joe then took up work as a crane operator for the U.S. Steel Company, before eventually managing his sons’ careers.
Together Joseph and Katherine had ten children. Son Brandon died at birth. The other nine grew up to become professional musicians:
• Maureen Reilette “Rebbie” Jackson (born May 29, 1950)
• Sigmund Esco “Jackie” Jackson (born May 4, 1951)
• Toriano Adaryll “Tito” Jackson (born October 15, 1953)
• Jermaine LaJaune Jackson (born December 11, 1954)
• La Toya Yvonne Jackson (born May 29, 1956)
• Marlon David Jackson (born March 12, 1957)
• Brandon Jackson (born March 12, 1957 – died at birth)
• Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)
• Steven Randall “Randy” Jackson (born October 29, 1961)
• Janet Damita Jo Jackson (born May 16, 1966)
Joseph has a daughter, Joh’Vonnie Jackson (born August 30, 1974) by Cheryl Terrell
• Rebbie Jackson and Nathaniel Brown have three children:
1. Stacee Brown (b. 1971) – Stacee is a singer-songwriter who often records with her younger sister; her son London Blue was born in 2005.
2. Yashi Brown (b. 1977) – Yashi is a singer-songwriter who often records with her older sister.
3. Austin “Auggie” Brown (b. 1985) – Auggie is a singer-songwriter and musician.
• Jackie Jackson and Enid Spann had two children
1. Sigmund Esco “Siggy” Jackson, Jr. (b. 1977) – “Siggy”, or DealZ, is a rapper and avid motorcyclist.
2. Brandi Jackson (b. 1982) – An adopted child, Brandi is also a singer.
• Tito Jackson and Delores “Dee Dee” Martez had three children
1. Tariano Adaryll Jackson, Jr. (b. 1973) – member of the successful pop group 3T
2. Taryll “Taryll” Adren Jackson (b. 1975) – member of the successful pop group 3T
3. Tito Joe “TJ” Jackson (b. 1978) – member of the successful pop group 3T; the first of the members to become a father, his son Royalty was born in 2000.
• Jermaine Jackson and Hazel Gordy had three children:
1. Jermaine Lu Juane Jackson, Jr. (b. 1977)
2. Autumn Joy Jackson (b. 1978)
3. Jaimy Jackson (b. 1987)
• Jermaine Jackson and Margaret Maldonado never legally married but had two children:
1. Jeremy Jackson (b. 1986)
2. Jourdynn Jackson (b. 1989)
• Jermaine and Alejandra Oaziaza had two children:
1. Jaffar Jackson (b. 1996)
2. Jermajesty Jackson (b. 2000)
• Jermaine Jackson and Halima Rashid (4th wife) have no children
• LaToya Jackson and Jack Gordon had no children.
• Marlon Jackson and Carol Parker have three children:
1. Valencia Jackson (b. 1977) – has a son, Noah, born in 2006
2. Brittany Jackson (b. 1978)
3. Marlon David Jackson, Jr. (b. 1985) – Marlon, Jr. currently is a member of a hip-hop duo.
• Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley had no children.
• Michael Jackson and Deborah Jeanne Rowe had two children:
1. Prince Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr. (b. 1997)
2. Paris Katherine Jackson (b. 1998)
• Michael Jackson and an unidentified woman (reportedly a surrogate) had one child:
1. Prince Michael Joseph Jackson II (a/k/a “Blanket”) (b. 2002)
• Randy Jackson and Eliza Shaffel had one child:
1. Steveanna Jackson (b. 1990)
• Randy Jackson and Alejandra Oaziaza had three children:
1. Genevieve Jackson (b. 1989)
2. Donte Jackson (b. 1991)
3. Steven Randall Jackson, Jr. (b. 1991)
• Janet Jackson and James DeBarge had no children.
• Janet Jackson and Rene Elizondo, Jr. had no children.
• Janet Jackson and Jermaine Dupri have no children.